Sunday, August 24, 2014

Wæs þu, Woruld, hal!

Photo: Neal Sanche on Flickr (CC BY-NC 2.0)
I should perhaps begin this journey by mentioning that this is not the first blog of which I've attempted to be a part.  Whether on my own, ill-formed attempt at a blog or as a guest writer on someone else's, I've always seemed to struggle with what amounts to the same points: I never know what to write, I find other things to do instead of writing, and I have absolutely no real idea of the value of what I have to say. Yes, I have a Master's degree in English, and yes, I'm in the dissertation stage of my PhD, but somehow it has never quite become real to me that anything I have to say might actually be worth reading, and certainly finding that thing to write about is one of my greatest difficulties.

For that reason, I'm thrilled to be a part of Dr. Fred Gibbs' Digital Methods class.  Much like being stuck in a writing camp, I'll be given the necessary encouragement to get the writing done, and with that writing comes the thinking that informs the truly interesting writing that will eventually come forth.

So hello, world! This small post will be the first of many as the semester goes on and I struggle to learn the important lessons that will shape me into a digital humanist ready for the future. With all of the Twitter posts, online readings, project work, and deep introspection necessary to truly understand the depths of the changes wrought by the digital transformation in our education systems, I'll certainly not lack anything to write about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment